Home Forums General Discussion Pit talk

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  gertie 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Yewbarrow
    Participant

fascinating, mill workers also had their own language and often used sign language of their own because of the noise

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

That’s really interesting about mill worker sign language, Jenny. Linguistics has fascinated me since my degree.

dixon
    Participant

I remember them all, I was a sparky, not an unusual term for an electrician. My tally was 4084. Use to carry out underground shaft side maintenance on a week end 12 hour nights. Rap ourselves out of the mine with a three…..ten…..at the onsetters station, get on the cage and drop the chain mail gate and rap a one reaching out through the gate. The winding engineman would know it was a last man out signal and would gently apply the power to make sure you had plenty of time. Unforgettable memories, could tell some tales. :-)

dixon
    Participant

Witch one :lol:

Attachments:

dixon
    Participant

Forgot to enlarge on the signals, three…..men not materials, ten……last man out of the mine, one UP, very important. :lol:

gertie
    Participant

What a super picture :good: :rose: and fascinating details … thanks Jane Jenny and Dixon :rose:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.