Home Forums Gardening Questions planting beetroot

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  SIMONDO 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

newshootNic
    Participant

Hi I can’t seem to find a definitive answer so I’m hoping someone here can help me!
    I have got some raised beds growing veg based on a legume-brassica-root rotation. I’ve got different areas for carrots and chard. However, I’d like to include some beetroot in there somewhere but not sure whether to intersperse it (alternate planting/rows) within the carrot section or the Chard, since they’re supposed to be related. Confused! Anyone got experience of doing either and have some advice on what might be the best way forward? Thanks!! :harvest:

Anonymous

beetroot are a root veg same as carrots ex, but as longe as they are moved every year,I would not confinde them to any particulr group, :good:

Beanstew
    Participant

Hi Nic. I always plant mine alongside carrots, parsnips, and turnips in the same sort of rotation as you describe in an area which has not been freshly manured. One other factor I’d take into consideration is that Chard leaves will be taller than beetroot, and could shade them – and might have a higher requirement for nitrogen than a root crop.

Yewbarrow
    Participant

agree with everyone above, mine get planted with parsnip and sometimes carrots – all as a root crop and roated each year – so not grown on the same patch of soil each year

dandlyon
    Participant

Just a little tip when sowing beetroot, once you have made the seed drill add a little table salt to the drill. In its natural state it grows near sea shores and thrives on the sea spray

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Now that is useful Tony, thank you. :good:

Allan

That should work with all brassicas then Tony, Because they were all seaside dwellers as well. Have to have a look at that . :good:

SIMONDO
    Participant

If you put in a search for “sodium chloride and brassicas” and click on the 1st one listed.

Allan

Not worth messing about with that then Si,

SIMONDO
    Participant

On looking at that load of info it would seem so.. BUT.. Tony will have a reason and some 1st hand info I’m sure. The Chloride side may have relevance as to the reason for using a ..Little.
    Duno.. :unsure:

Allan

If in doubt ,Don’t :-)

SIMONDO
    Participant

Eye..applies to most things in life.. except a second helping of new spuds !! :lol:

Allan

Be digging the second helping of them today, :yes:

SIMONDO
    Participant

They certainly came mighty early Al with some warmth and the light the conservatory gives :good:
    What sort ?

Allan

Pentland Javalin Si.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.