Home Forums Gardening Questions Potato Scab

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 3 hours, 39 minutes ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

This year I have grown Desiree in air pots and they have produced a good crop of good sized potatoes, unfortunatly quite a lot of them have a lot of scab. I used multipurpose compost with some Levington concentrated farmyard manure mixed in the bottom layer then topped up with the multipurpose with a bit of fertiliser mixed in. Watered as normal with Tomerite feed about once a week.This is the first time I have tried Desiree in pots I have usually grown Picassa .and never had this problem before I grew first earlies in bags and they were fine.Can anyone tell me if I have done anything wrong I am not sure what causes scab I have checked on line but the reasons I have read like crop rotation etc. does not apply to growing in containers.

Walt
    Participant

Desiree potatoes are susceptible to common scab, especially in hot and dry weather.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thank you Walt I wasn`t aware of that, I was wondering if I had gone over the top with feeding etc. with mixing concentrated farmyard manure in the base mix, but if the cause is the weather last summer I may have to go back to Picasso next year but I just fancied Desiree for a change.

roly
    Participant

talking about potato scab we planted two varieties of potato on my Daughters allotments at the front of the plot Winston at the end of the plot Cara and so Winston although a fair crop had scab but Cara free from scab and a good size spud?

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Yes it does appear to depend on which variety you use, I will have to think about this for next year. Although I do like Desiree
    :confused:

Allan

Scab will only come on the potatoes below a certain altitude Frank,That’s why %90 of the seed pots come from Scotland, I have grown pentland javelin and Desiree for years,But I only use Scottish seed each year,I never plant potatoes that I have grown the previous year, I grew them in airpots the year before last but I had to get them out early with blight. With planting them in pots ,You shouldn’t have any trouble with soil contamination,Unless the spores were in the farmyard manure.Al

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hi Allan Many thanks for that information, I never use pots that I have grown either. I usually buy my setts at the local horticultural society shop, but this year I was at one of the local G/C and I bought a small pack from there.I have no idea wether or not they were Scottish seed I thought all seed were Scottish that we get round here (shows what I know). with only having a small garden and it is not really feasable to make my own compost that is why I use the Levington concentrated farmyard manure bought in bags from the G/C. I was wondering if it was too rich for container growing, or if I had put too much in? the Desiree I grew are quite large, bigger than the ones I have grown in the past in my old garden. The total yield has been very good and they are fine to eat once peeled the scabbing does not appear to have affected the potatoes at all they just dont look very good. I will make sure next year I get Scottish setts whichever variety I grow.
    Thanks Frank

Walt
    Participant

I agree with Allan, Frank, I find Scottish seed reliable.
    I get them from JBA.
    https://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thanks Walt,as I said above I will make sure next year that they are Scottish seed, I have looked on JBA website in the past but with only needing a few seeds to grow in bags and airpots I usually get them locally.I think our local horticultural society will use Scottish seed, but I shall enquire.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.