Home Forums Gardening Questions Potatoes

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Last year I grew 1st earlies Lady Christl in standard potato growing bags 3 set per bag, and didn’t have much success, they got blight in early June and I lost quite a few, so this year I thought I would try Tony’s method of earlies in smaller poly pots 1 set per bag. I am not sure if some varieties are more suited to this method than others so would apprieciate any suggestions as to which work best. Also in the smaller bags do you still support the haulm with canes or just let it grow? I have had good results with lates with Piccasso in air pots has anybody grown a red variety in pots? I thought I might try these for a change. Any advice would be welcome.

Allan

Hi Frank I grew Desiree reds in airpots for a trial for the airport company,Quite a few of us on here had airpots sent to us for free,Just to do a trial for them,I found them quite good but they take a lot of water, Being maicrop they were in When the blight struck and didn’t produce to their full potential,So now I grow an early pot pentland javelin.Both In photo,

Attachments:

dandlyon
    Participant

Have not tried airpots for potatoes, either 20L poly pots, and 40gallon plastic drums cut in half for main crop
    I support the haulms on all my container grown spuds, have done this since we had a talk at the gardening club by Sherie Plumb. This lady has really knocked some of the big boys in showing for a six

dandlyon
    Participant

supporting potato tops

Attachments:

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thank you both for replies, Allan your Desiree look a good crop and also Pentland Javelin earlies I haven`t tried these before.Last year I grew picassa main crop in air pots, same variety as Tony and they did really well,there is a picture of them on my profile. I just thought I would try something else for a change so the reds look a good bet.I only have room for a few tubs now since we moved house and find air pots work well.
    Tony I thought I would try using the poly pots as you suggest for the first earlies as I mentioned in my query above, last year I grew 1st`s in larger plastic growing bags with 3 sets per bag which for the work and compost I used was not really worth the effort.The haulm was so thick I finished up with very early blight so this year I am going to follow your suggestion of 1 set per bag in smaller bags.
    Do either of you set them off in greehouse to give them an erlier start?

Allan

There’s the results from the airpots and the waste bins Frank.Ones in the garden done with only growmore, Ones in the bin done with growmore, The top ones in the airpot were done with growmore and well rotted manure, The ones in the bottom airpot was again just growmore. Like I said the blight made me dig them before they were ready, I start my early chitted spuds in April where they are going to grow,I plant them deeper than suggested to miss the frost, If it does burn a couple of leaves ,There’s nothing spoilt.

Attachments:

Allan

This was two weeks later, When the dreaded blight struck.

Attachments:

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hi Allan those pictures certainly show how well air pots can perform, I found this with my main crop last year which was the best I have ever done. With not really having access to well rotted manure because of the small quantity I need, last year I used the bags of concentrated farmyard manure by levingtons from local G/C, and added potato fertiliser each time I topped up the air pots, which is why I think I did better than past efforts.I will definatley be treating earlier for blight this year. I just have to improve with my first earlies, last year I set off a couple of the aformentioned large bags of earlies in the G/H in March and standing outside when the weather warmed up hoping to get earier pots. but this didn`t really work, so I think I will just do as you do and set them off after chitting when weather is right, they should be pretty easy to protect from late frost when in bags.If I use the smaller poly pots as Tony does it will also use less compost. I only have enough air pots for my lates.These are picasa which were out of the first 3 air pots with a similar amount from the 2nd 3.

Attachments:

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

It really is amazing how fast blight can take over as you pic shows it is a real sickener. I am still suprised at how tall the haulm grows I did the same as you and supported with canes it must have been 5` at least, but I will be better organised this year.
    Somwhere amongst by well organised photos I have some pictures of mine growing last year, I will have to fined them when I can spare a couple of days. :lol:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.