Home Forums Gardening Questions Potatoes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tubs
    Participant

I wrote this question and it vanished.So smaller version, I have potatoes in pots again this year. One died tipped it out and there was no potato just and empty shell, does anyone know why this happened. The others around it look good.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Sounds a bit odd Tubs, could it have been slug damage?

gertie
    Participant

The seed potato does that after sending out shoots to grow the new potatoes doesn’t it Tubs?
    All that’s left of the original is the spent shell. :rose:

Tubs
    Participant

Yes VV I think you may be correct the garden is bone dry but the pots damp, there was a snail and slug on side of pot. There was nothing in the pot except compost and the one potato shell, the green died off a while back, I should have looked before but it was at the back and difficult to get at. Yes Gertie usually but there was nothing in pot except empty shell and when the potatoe went in it had lovely shoots. I have some pots in another place and I noticed when I watered this morning that one of those is not looking as good as the others. That is easy to get at so if it starts to get worse I will empty to see what is going on.

cilla
    Participant

I had the same last year Tubs with our village competition Potato in a Bucket………..nothing, zilch!

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

This is a mystery I have been growing spuds in containers for quite a few years now and have never had this happen, I have never had any slug damage either. The only problem I have had is scab especially with Desiree which I grew a couple of years ago, The spuds were still ok though. Last year I tried Caralus which were fine so I am growing them again this year, hopefully, they will be ok. fingers crossed. I hope the rest of yours are alright Tubbs.

Tubs
    Participant

Thank you, I usually grow Charlotte with success, this year I have lady Christl grown in exactly the same way, I only have a few just to get the taste of homegrown. Another one in a different place is looking not so good if it gets any worse I will tip it out to see what is going on.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hello Tubs, I don’t think your problem will be Lady Christl I grow them for 1st earlies also, this will be about the 4th or 5th year I have grown them and have had no trouble, they are good tasting and they store ok. It sounds like you have been unlucky with yours. It would be interesting to know what the cause of your problem is if you find out.

Tubs
    Participant

I think it’s most likely slugs my ground is hard we have had only tiny amount of rain for about 2 months,this is the only damp place with soft compost as I do not water garden only a few tubs.

Tubs
    Participant

I have put a picture and notes in clicks have trouble with photos/keys and computers so had to use 2 for different things. So put where easier for me and not here.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Had a look at your photos and description Tubs. The slugs that do the most damage to potatoes are Keel slugs, they live in the soil, named for the ridge that runs along their back. Wire worms will leave small tunnels in potatoes, but I’ve never known them to completely demolish the whole thing; they are easily identified as they are a bright orange, yellow. If it was a Keel slug it probably left the pot after it had finished off the seed potato, to look for more food!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by VegVamp.
    Tubs
    Participant

Thanks VV yes Keel slug I think but worms were worms, I had a good crop of Charlotte last year first time for me in pots haven’t grown potatoes for years but had a go for fun. I have come to the conclusion that it’s the variety of potato that is more likely to have the problem. Still been fun just to get the taste of new but not worth the effort again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.