Home Forums Gardening Questions Potatoes in bags.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Frank AKA seasider Frank AKA seasider 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Frank AKA seasider
    Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

How have your pots done this year? I tried two bags of lady christal first earlies, 3 sets in each in the greenhouse to get an early start, planted 1st week in March. They grew pretty well. I stood them outside in May when room was required in G/H all growing well at this time.Early June these developed blight I wasn’t ready for this as I thought it was too early in the year so these were a right off. Another four bags planted the same but later and outside faired better as I sprayed with Dithane and prevented any blight. But when I emptied the bags a couple of weeks ago the yield was very poor and the reason was as I discovered was that out of the 3 setts in each bag only one or two had grown, the ones that hadn`t grown were just as I planted them, short chits and still solid, has anyone had this problem and what causes it?
    Still got my Piccassa lates to empty but have managed to prevent blight on these.

Profile photo of dandlyon
    dandlyon
    Participant

I grow in 17L plastic poly pots, one seed per pot, gouge out all but two chits, water regular, keeps haulms upright

Attachments:
    1. IMAG1846.jpg

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thanks Tony, I am not sure what the size in lts my bags are but they are the standard bags from G/C ie strong reinforced plastic with handles and these are just for earlies. I have grown lates in air pots but have not emptied them yet. I did as you suggest support the haulms as I have seen how you grow in pots with great success. I didn`t know about removing all but 2 chits though, this will have to wait till next year now. When I empty air pots out I will post results. I do water well and feed also, so we will see how they have done.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

As promised I have now emptied 3 air pots and I am very happy with the results, 2 stone of potatoes from 3 air pots. As you can see they are of varying size, not nice and even like Tony`s some are big enough for two of us, but it was certainly worthwhile and the best I have ever done in containers.

Attachments:
    1. DSC02438.jpg

Profile photo of dandlyon
    dandlyon
    Participant

Good result, pleased it worked for you

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thanks Tony, I have another 3 to empty shortly so hoping they come out as good as these.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Now emptied the last 3 air pots pretty much same as the first 3, I am very happy with the results this year the last 3 weighed in at 40lbs.

Attachments:
    1. DSC02438.jpg

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Sorry I appear to have uploaded the same pic twice I will sort this out :lol:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.