Home Forums Gardening Questions pruning plum trees.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ambersparkle Ambersparkle 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Len
    Len
    Participant

i have 2 plum trees on the allotment. both need serious pruning as they have got far too big. can i do it now or is it better to leave till the spring ?

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

No don’t do it now Len,You have to wait until the sap is rising in the spring,If you do it now spores of silver leaf will have a chance of entering the wood,And that’s the end of the tree,I always do mine as the first buds are filling out,Cut away from the middle of the tree to allow a good airflow,I always have a tin of spray paint handy as a precaution for sealing the cuts,

Profile photo of Len
    Len
    Participant

thanks allan. there was a difference of opinion down on our lottie, so thought i would ask on here.

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

It’s the same with all fruit trees Len,It’s the fresh cut wood that allows the spores to enter the cambium layer,When the sap is rising,It flows out preventing the spores access,By spraying or putting grafting grease on gives it further protection,

Profile photo of Len
    Len
    Participant

thank you.

Profile photo of Hayley
    Hayley

Thank you both, I was going to ask the same question! :good:

Profile photo of Len
    Len
    Participant

:good:

Profile photo of karenp
    karenp
    Participant

Just noticed this question and so glad I did as now will wait till spring to do my fruit trees :good:

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

Yes best to wait Karen :good:

Profile photo of Hayley
    Hayley

Trouble is, I need you here to help Al ;-) :good: @ronvalley

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

What’s up doc.?

Profile photo of Hayley
    Hayley

Where do I start Al? Greengage is reaching for the skies (one tiny fruit this year), the Vic plum (at the bottom of the garden) needs attention, no fruit I could harvest, and the one I thought was a Vic plum but turns out this year is ‘A Another’ (because it fruited so well)is also reaching for the skies :confused:

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

There’s no rush to do it yet Hayl I’ll sort it out with you before it’s time,I’ll draw out how to cut them back, :rose:

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

There’s no rush to do it yet Hayl I’ll sort it out with you before it’s time,I’ll draw out how to cut them back, :rose:

Profile photo of Len
    Len
    Participant

my greengage is the same

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.