Home Forums Gardening Questions Ragwort or Mugwort

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Johnny
    Participant

I have a terrible habit of trying to recycle plants (and anything else for that matter) and about three or four years ago i bought a plant that had big orange flowerheads on it and not much in the way of foliage but after only a few weeks all the heads fell off off and the plant has never reflowered in all the time ive kept it. Ive tried to subdivide it and plant in the border and in pots and in clay soil and in really thin chalky soil and amazingly it seems to grow well everywhere but still no flowers. I cut it right back this year and am hoping that this year it’ll come up trumps. I wish i had pics of its former glory or could even remember what it was called. My nearest estimation going by the leaves is St Johns Wort but the orange flowerheads remains a mystery. Any ideas guys?

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

We really need a picture, Johnny. This appears to show ST. JOHNS WORT
    Your heading mention Ragwort and the link will show you the plant at different stages of growth.
    This link is about mugwort (I hadn’t heard of it but it has many names) Mugwort

Allan

Ragwort

Allan

Second photo looks like the one you have Anne,

Attachments:
    gertie
    Participant

Indeed it does Allan :good: :rose:

Johnny
    Participant

I have tried o various occasions previously to include a photo but it keeps coming back with an error nessage

Attachments:
    Johnny
    Participant

Success – finally and this is a close up of the leave

Attachments:
    Johnny
    Participant

Sorry leaf

gertie
    Participant

This is not the one I have Allan ,,, similar but this one is smaller and slimmer [mine seems bigger, rounder lobes, fatter and a blueier green]

Tubs
    Participant

The leaf looks rather like a Chrysanthemum.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

That’s interesting, Tubs, as I noticed in the link I posted above named Mugwort, it is one of the names for Chrysanthemum.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Yip, Chrysanthemum gets my vote as well. :cool:

Johnny
    Participant

Chrysanthemum would go some way to explaining the large orange flowerheads i recall when it was first bought but does anyone know if it would or should reflow,er again?

Tubs
    Participant

I would suggest you google large orange Chrysanthemum and once you can identified your plant the way forward to looking after it may become clear.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.