Home Forums Gardening Questions Replacing a Greenhouse Base.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by avatar Yewbarrow 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Beanstew
    Beanstew
    Participant

My small greenhouse (6′ x 8′) has given me sterling service for fourteen years – and due to my own stupidity and failure to treat the base it is erected on, it is in an advanced state of rust. I seriously doubt it’s ability to support the structure for another year. Can anyone give advice about how to replace the base? My daughter thinks it would be very dangerous to try to unbolt and lift the superstructure off of it in one go – and I think with enough help this might be possible. My heart quails at the thought of removing and having to replace all of the glass – which will be a protracted exercise. Does anyone have experience of doing this, and how did you do it? Please advise urgently – the growhouse is stuffed full of small seedlings which just keep on growing, and have to go somewhere else fairly soon…..

Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Hello Sheila
    I’m not the person to advise on this as I only have lean-to greenhouses and OH put them up on gravel. However, I did a search to see if I could find anything at all helpful before the experts on site advise you properly.
    This company does what looks like good bases – I don’t know if anything can just be fitted on top of what you’ve got Shed Base company
    This one shows what you don’t want to do, i.e. dismantle your greenhouse: How to dismantle a greenhouse

Profile photo of Frank AKA seasider
    Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hi Sheila
    I would not recommend attempting to lift the greenhouse off the base as a whole because I think no matter how many people you have helping
    it will be almost impossible to get everyone to lift together and to the same hight and uneven lifting will cause the framework to twist resulting in glass either breaking or springing the clips and falling out which could be dangerous.
    I think it still may be possible though to replace the base without lifting off the main framework by doing one section at a time and temporary packing underneath to support the frame and then slipping in a new base section. Maybe not a base as existing but maybe some other form of base. If you could put some photos on showing the existing base etc. and also the hight of existing base I will try to think of a solution.

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

Frank … would it be possible to lift from one end and place a plank underneath, gradually sliding planks along until the whole base is just supported on planks… then lift off the base with lots of helpers, 2 to each plank, and place the whole GH down until new base is made? Sorry if this is a silly idea … I have never had to do it.. Good luck Sheila :good: :rose:

Profile photo of mick1970
    mick1970
    Participant

Take all the glass out and start again … trying to move it fully assembled will cause breakages shelia

Profile photo of mick1970
    mick1970
    Participant

Sheila I moved mine last year and built a new frame out 4×2
    I actually replaced the glass to the plastic and just kept the roof glass it’s not that difficult the glass to take out and put in solid now

Profile photo of Walt
    Walt
    Participant

I agree with Frank & Mick, start over :good:

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Yip, sorry Sheila, I’m on the “take glass out” side too. Any twisting at all could break the glass and dropping roof glass on people isn’t clever.

Beanstew
    Participant

I am definitely going to listen to everyones’ advice and remove the glass – much as my heart quails within me. It’s nearly all old horticultural glass, and as such, I understand that it becomes even more fragile.I will buy a roll of corrugated cardboard to cut up and place between panes as they are removed. I’d better get a good First Aid kit too. Have been tearing the kitchen drawers apart this morning, for the installation instructions – but all I have managed to find is an amendment glazing plan for fitting the louvre. Presumably the maker might be able to supply a copy of the original instructions. I’m hoping to schedule this for next week, weather permitting – and I wish I had the assistance of someone who knows what they are doing. I would send you a photograph of the base, Frank – but I don’t have a camera and my mobile phone is very old and doesn’t take photographs. And thank you, Jane for your unfailing references – I looked at these yesterday, and I’ll be looking at them again. Fingers crossed everyone, that I can manage this without injury to people or structure.

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Very relieved to hear that Sheila. What make is it? Most makers now have instructions on their websites, so should be available there. :good:

Beanstew
    Participant

I think it was Hall’s – and I have downloaded a copy of installation instructions from their website. Have also tried to locate people with this expertise locally – I could make a fantastic job of cleaning the glass and frame, if I can find someone good with the fiddly clips (I have arthritic hands) etc. My daughter is willing to try, but has no experience, and we would both be very slow.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hi Sheila
    sorry to take so long to answer but it appears that everyone agrees that glass removal is the only way and in the long run much easier. I was thinking of supporting one section at a time and replacing the base in sections while supporting the greenhouse with temporary props, and replacing a section of the base before moving on to the next section but this would be quite a task, much easier and safer to remove the glass, and as you say a good chance to clean it up. The company called the Greenhouse People are I believe now selling Halls greenhouses which you can find online. I bought my greenhouse from them and found them a very helpful company if you find you require any spare parts such as glazing clips etc. Hope this helps.

Beanstew
    Participant

I have some spare glazing clips Frank – and can always get more if needed from the garden centre. Have located a replacement base at Halls – but will have a look at the spare parts supplied by the Greenhouse People. Got my corrugated cardboard yesterday to cut up and place between the panes after removal and cleaning before they go back in. Wish I’d thought of this weeks ago – I really need it back up and running fairly soon.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

I am sure you will manage fine Sheila, take your time with the glass.

Best of luck, I would be interested to know how you go on.

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

Sheila,Pity I am not living closer or I would do it for you,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.