Home Forums Gardening Questions RHUBARB

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gertie gertie 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

It’s a long time since I grew Rhubarb, and even then I had established plants. This year I bought a pot from a lovely nursery in Somerset, where the crown was big and I divided it into two plants…1st mistake! One half fizzled out, but the other is romping. I read that the first year you shouldn’t harvest it but it’s my first year, but the plant must be in its second season, don’t you think? The stems are flopping over with the weight of the enormous leaves., and I have put in a prop for them to lean on. Could I harvest a stem now, or should I wait and let it go on growing, or should I Cut off the heavy leaf? Am in a quandary as I dearly want rhubarb, and don’t want to lose the chance for want of knowledge or I’m patience….HELP PLEASE? Anne xx :rose:

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6826.jpg

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

a few more pics for clarity …

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6825.jpg

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

in situ …

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

try again…

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

Will try once more …

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6824.jpg

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

…and there it is , on the right of the picture if you clicked on it :good: :rose:

Profile photo of flowerpotlynn
    flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Hi Anne, it looks really healthy, but not big enough yet to pick any, I would leave it to finish growing and then die back and wait until next year, when you could pick about 50% of the stems, mine are in there 2nd full year and I’ve left lots on them to die back, but will pick lots next year. This is what I’ve done here and when I had my allotment in Poole. Other clickers might have some other suggestions! They are quiet greedy so some feeding might help it get really establish, plus they do have very deep roots, so possible repotting into a much deeper pot about 18 to 2ft wide? :good: :rose: :high-five:

Profile photo of flowerpotlynn
    flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Just clicked on the pic, think the pot is ok, but might need to be deeper in a couple of years to get a good crop?

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

Many thanks Lynn :good: I have a bigger pot in the wings, and will transplant into that :good: I didn’t realise you could leave it to die back as historically, of course. we had always pulled it :-) Am, apart from the usual things, giving tomato food to plants with fruiting flowers too, and the rhubarb liked it :good: :rose:

Profile photo of shedsue
    shedsue
    Participant

A good bucket of manure early Spring or late Autumn Anne :good:

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

Thanks Susie … will do :good: :rose:

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Yip, with Sue on the manure, they are greedy plants. And next year, don’t forget to stop harvesting in August latest or when the stems start getting thin as the plant needs leaves to help store energy over winter.

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

Thank you Karen :good:
    Brilliant all of you :walt: :dance: yet again I know what glues me to this community … many thanks :love: :love: :love: :rose:

Profile photo of roly
    roly
    Participant

quite rite plenty of good manure is essential we grew a tray of rhubarb from seed and planted a lot more on the allotments

following our fellow gardener next plot to us Carol told us about rhubarb cordial and how to make it we found the rhubarb juice very refreshing after several hours in the fridge with soda water added Carol suggested we mix it with Gin but haven’t tried the Gin mix yet

anyway the variety we grew for seed was champagne probably apt for the gin and rhubarb mix :lol:

I know one can’t go wrong with plenty of well rotted manure for a good rhubarb crop we will be planting more rhubarb ready for next year :good:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

and plenty of water if it doesn’t rain much too
    when it does romp away it freezes just great

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.