Home Forums Gardening Questions Root aphids

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Owdboggy 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Owdboggy
    Participant

I have been cleaning up my Auricula seedlings and far too many of them have bad infestations of root aphids. Has anyone ever found an effective insecticide? At the moment I am washing all the compost off the plants in a Horticultural soft soap solution. The aphids are covered in a wax which stops normal insecticides from reaching the creatures. This is really the wrong time of year to be re-potting.

gertie
    Participant

I haven’t been aware of this before Eric, but it seems as if you have taken all the steps that you can. It will be interesting to see if the Auriculas can live with a few attendant critters. I try not to use insecticides so can’t be offering any wisdom, sorry :disappointed: . Bon courage :good: :rose:

Owdboggy
    Participant

Going to try a Neem oil drench which is a natural insecticide.

Allan

I’ve never had a problem with them either Eric so I have never gone into it.

Owdboggy
    Participant

Neither had I until we moved here.

Yewbarrow
    Participant

had them one year on little gem lettuce, the lettuce did not do at all well

Owdboggy
    Participant

Not used the Neem oil yet as the plants are still sodden.

Owdboggy
    Participant

Taken this long for the plants to become dry enough to drench them again. So Neem oil at the recommended rate (4 teaspoons to a gallon of soapy water). Now it is a question of wait and see. I did drop 4 vine weevil grubs into a drop of the liquid and they seem to have died, so fingers crossed it has the same effect on the root aphids.
    Watch this space.

gertie
    Participant

Though they could have drowned in any liquid Eric? :dunno: I shall watch this space :good: :rose:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

This was in today’s Guardian, Eric. There might not be anything new for you to learn from the article though.
    How to kill winter aphids and mealybugs

gertie
    Participant

That looks interesting Jane, thank you from me :-) … shall search for the recommended stuff :good: :rose:

Owdboggy
    Participant

Don’t have any indoor plants so never been a problem with either of those.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.