Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  flowerpotlynn 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Ambersparkle
    Participant

One of my Rose Bushes, a Floribunda, think it is ‘ True Friendship’, is still flowering, lovely SApricot Buds on it now. what I am worried about, is, will it have any Strength to bloom in Spring, or will it be spent.

gertie
    Participant

Good morning Tina :high-five:
    My roses have been reflowering throughout the year too and I have been cutting them hard at times to try to eradicate [unsuccessfully :bad: ] Black spot, which is actually brown spots!! :confused: It is fascinating how they have kept going.
    I can’t answer your question, but I shall be interested to see how both our roses fare next year :good: :rose:

Ambersparkle
    Participant

My Rose seems quite healthy, Anne, grr, once you get Blackspot, it is so hard to eradicate. x

gertie
    Participant

Good morning Tina…tell me about it…I have tried everything I know, but it stubbornly remains…never mind, the roses still keep blooming :good: Happy New Year Tina :love: :clover: :rose:

Ambersparkle
    Participant

Think what you have to do Anne, is get rid of them, sad as it is, once Blackspot gets a real grip, the Beasties live in the soil, and just impossible for them to recover, the Roses, that is not the Beasties. x

gertie
    Participant

If that is the case then I won’t be able to grow more there either :bad: :disappointed:
    I hadn’t realised that the stuff was in the soil…it seems we are beset from all sides :disappointed:
    Thanks for the advice Tina :rose:

dixon
    Participant

I have two roses that always get black spot, nice ones to. Read somewhere that if all else fails replace them with roses with thicker greener waxy foliage that is less prone to disease. So that’s my plan. I’m sure bill would have offered so advice. :-(

Daffy Gardener
    Participant

Cut it back hard and hope the cold weather coming is going to halt its growth. Give a good feed and mulch well.
    The black spot is caused by a fungal infection. Often splashing up from the soil – mulching will reduce it, and if you need to water – water carefully again to reduce splashing. The spots appear and about a week or so later the spores will be produced. If you can pick off the leaves as soon as you see it. But your rose can be defoliate completely, and be weakened, so feed well. Pick up the leaves that have fallen down to reduce the spores too. Both will help to contain it. There are fungicides that help too, but I don’t know what this contains. I’ve scraped the soil and leaves away from around the roses and then fed and mulched well. It can be contained and maybe halted especially if the rose is a favorite. The glossy leaves ones are more resistant.
    I too have some lovely roses that I wouldn’t want to be without, one is compassion and the other is I’m told is Peer Gynt – but I can’t find one on sale in the U.K. to co-oberate. As you can’t replace in the same place easily I don’t want to move or replace. Hope this helps

cilla
    Participant

My Zephrine Drouin is renowned for black spot but smells so beautiful, on my arch, that I don’t worry about the leaves. It never stops flowering. We can get a bit paranoid about our plants. If your roses are flowering well, just take Paula’s advice and enjoy them.

Walt
    Participant

gertie
    Participant

Thank you all so much for ALL the very helpful advice … I wasn’t even sure when to cut down, now or in Spring, and was so tempted to do so the other day…I will now, AND have a good clean around the roots, AND have a good mulch as well. Ooh,I feel quite excited by the prospect; let’s hope the sun shines tomorrow :good: :-) :rose:

Daffy Gardener
    Participant

Thanks Walt, it certainly looks like Peer Gynt.
    On another note and in fondness for our lovely Sheila there is beautiful rose with her name on it, :rose: along with an azaela and hydrangea too.

Attachments:

Walt
    Participant

Thank you, Daffy. I shall order a ‘Sheila’s Perfume’ rose tomorrow :rose:
    https://www.styleroses.co.uk/buy-plants/sheila-s-perfume-bush-rose

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Thankyou for the info Daffy,shall order a rose when payday arrives. :good: :-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.