Home Forums General Discussion Seeds

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  VegVamp 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I sent an email to Franchi seeds about their passata machine which I’m thinking of buying. I also commented on the generosity of seeds in their packets. You might be interested in their reply to that part:

“Franchi (believe it or not) are now the only major seed brand who produce their own seeds for their own packets, yet before WW2 in the UK there were more than 40. So all the big boys have to buy their seeds in except Kings, who produce a small amount (about 16%), and because it is cheaper (and LOCAL) to produce your own, we can afford to put more seed into our packets. Did you know that the fastest growing supplier of seed into British packets is China don’t you?”

gertie
    Participant

It doesn’t surprise me Jane ….. most everything I come across seems to come from China. :wacko:

Ambersparkle
    Participant

Am going to send for my Seeds from there in Future, you are right, Jane, everything seems to come from China.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Maybe that’s why last year’s parsnips were so bad, Anne! Don’t forget, Tina, there are small UK firms that have good seed such as RealSeeds and I believe Moreveg is as well. Maybe others will help with a list of such seed producers.

dandlyon
    Participant

I high lighted this last year, our own native open pollenated seeds are being neglected in favour of F1 seed that has been developed in the far East. A lot of F1 seed does out preform open pollenated, this in my opinion is due to our seed growers not investing the money in seed development the Far Eastern countries have. The time will come when the price of shipping these seeds from Japan and China will put them out of the range of amateur growers and there will be non of our native seed to fall back on

gertie
    Participant

I know it’s not exactly germane to the argument about seeds, but I look at the labels on the little Teds and many of those say that they are from China :lol: :unsure:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

I do like Franchi seeds as well as RealSeeds and MoreVeg – good quality and easy to deal with.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.