Home Forums Gardening Questions soil type identification

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gertie 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

gertie
    Participant

Hi Peops :high-five:
    Have been looking at instruments to measure soil PH.on Google …..
    They seem to vary in price from £6 to over a £100.
    What do you use please … would very much appreciate some advice/local knowledge on this topic?
    xxxxxAnne

cilla
    Participant

Hi Anne. I have a gauge which has a stem you stick in the soil and a meter which goes from acid to alkaline (or visa versa ;-) )I wouldn’t have paid much for it.

gertie
    Participant

Right, thanks Cilla, that sounds about easy enough for me to cope with ;-) :rose:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

I have the same as Cilla Anne it is ok, does the job and didn’t cost a lot from memory

gertie
    Participant

Thanks Jenny … it’s next on my garden shopping list :good: :rose:

Walt
    Participant

I use a 3 way meter. Moisture, Light and pH. Circa £9-00.

Attachments:

gertie
    Participant

Thanks Walt :love: That looks just the job and now I can search for a name :good: :-) :walt: :rose:

Walt
    Participant

Abafia Soil Testing Kit. Check on Amazon.

gertie
    Participant

Brilliant … I have got Dom onto it ;-)
    Thanks Walt :rose:

gertie
    Participant

I am holding it Walt!! it’s just like your picture, so thank you All, and Dom, and the post for such extraordinary service :lol: :good: :rose:

dandlyon
    Participant

I remember going through this thing on Ph meters some years back. The general thought was that most of the probes were unreliable

gertie
    Participant

Well ’tis done now Tony and I think it will help to guide me a bit. Let’s face it I have gardened for over 60 years without any knowledge of soil PH just what flowers like which conditions. I hope it will guide me a bit with crop growing, which is mostly new to me. What part of it do you think is unreliable Tony?

dandlyon
    Participant

It was on the original clickers Anne and the main complaint was that on the cheap probes you seemed to always get the same reading. The one I had always registered 7 even in a lime solution. Not many people take a Ph reading, they just add lime to the brassica area each year. I think I am the only one on our allotments that takes Ph readings My meter can be calibrated before use each time. the neutral setting [7] is done with distilled water, the high setting is done with milk of magnesia that has a know Ph of10.5

Attachments:

gertie
    Participant

Okay, thanks for that Tony, those numbers are useful :good: . I will have a further fidget with my gadget and see what comes about. It’s certainly not worth me paying for one that costs over £100! I’ll also get some lime for the greens as well as more Ericaceous compost for the potatoes and tomatoes and Berries :rose:
    … Wonders … where can I get coir instead of peat?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.