Home Forums Gardening Questions summer in the greenhouse

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  roly 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

roly
    Participant

i don’t know about you but looking after the greenhouse especially when the weather starts getting warmer all those UVL’S blasting through the windows either drying or scorching up our plants

what to do this is what i do the greenhouses are firstly covered with a UVL shading that greatly reduces the suns heat i also remove several pains of glass in the gable end to help the circulation we purchased some plastic trays to stand pots or trays in water i don’t know if these are better than capillary matting as i know some use capillary matting in preference

so having said that how do you cope with shading and watering in the summer time?

Beanstew
    Participant

I haven’t needed much shading in recent years up in Scotland Roly, and have not applied ANY for several seasons, because our quality of light has been poor with weeks of total cloud cover – but I still ventilate a lot, door and louvre permanently open and autovent fixed to roof light. I know Dixon, Tony et al have brilliant watering systems – but I tend to stagger up the garden early on with buckets of tepid water (mustn’t shock those pampered tomato plants) and later just use the hose. I use capillary matting early on, but rely on having big reservoirs holding water (60 ltr bags of compost) as root runs.

cilla
    Participant

I have some shade netting which is fixed, Heath Robinson fashion, on the outside, with clothes pegs!

dandlyon
    Participant

Watering and shading green house and onion tunnel

Attachments:

dandlyon
    Participant

Quick to fit and remove sun shades only takes seconds

dandlyon
    Participant

Green house has front and rear door , each door way I can fit a fly screen into thus keeping all the pests out as the green house stays closed. Excellent through flow of air

Attachments:

dandlyon
    Participant

I am giving a talk on this subject next week, will add it as a blog later tonight

dandlyon
    Participant

Removable fly screen for greenhouse ventilation

roly
    Participant

what a brilliant set up Tony just the ticket studying your video very closely we need to set up something like that what a good idea

also the insect netting I’m getting on with that idea asap for both greenhouses and the tunnel :good:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.