Home Forums Gardening Questions Tomato growing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

I am growing Gardeners Delight and Shirley this year as usual. I sowed the first seeds on the 6th of March in the propagator no problems. So as to try to spread out the toms being ready I sowed a few more on the 1st of April.They all grew fine and I planted them in turn as they were big enough into growbags. They are all strong healthy plants, this is my question. The first lot are growing at what I think is a normal rate but the second lot are now the same height as the earlier ones, because of the speed they are growing the trusses on the second sowing are far apart about 2`6 to the first one and the second truss is about the same height as the third truss on the earlier ones. At this rate I shall have to raise the greenhouse roof to get 5 trusses :lol: Can anyone advise as to why this is happening I have done this before without any problems.

Beanstew
    Participant

You do pose us some interesting questions Frank. I have noticed the same phenomenon myself – and I can only hazard a guess which would be that the plants have reacted in ways we do not understand to different weather and light conditions at different stages of their development. We have all remarked on the ability of vegetations’ ability to “catch up” after an adverse early season, so that it can carry out it’s life cycle and reproduce itself through seed in fruit or flower. I think plants might have the ability to vary the rate of their development if necessary just to achieve this end – but this could also just be a load of hooey. I think tomatoes can be laid into final planting positions horizontally if this situation happens again – this might be one way to reduce the height of the first truss?

Yewbarrow
    Participant

I also think different types grow differently as part of their DNA – I grow a selection of tom plants, 7 different ones this year, mamande are always a bit squatter than the others, and sometimes don’t have a main stem which progresses further than the first 2 trusses – and out of all the plants they are all slightly different heights, which slight differences in how many trusses each plant sets – this year I have used up all the tomato seeds which I have accrued over the past 5 or 6 years so next year will have to purchase fresh seed, I have grown plants from seed that was 10 years old and throughout the differences in how the plants look as always been thge same

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thank you both for your comments, I am only growing G/D and Shirley and the difference is on the same variety, I was thinking the same as you Sheila the very strange weather we have had this year is causing the erratic growth. With the northerly and Easterly winds, we have had on the coast for about the last 4 weeks with quite cool nights I don’t think the plants know where they are, I know what they feel like. Luckily they are doing well. We are still getting night temperatures dropping to 8deg in the greenhouse this week, and I refuse to put on heating in June. Anyhow, I am glad to here I am not alone with these happenings it is nice to hear other peoples comments.
    YB It is interesting to hear you are using 5-6 year old seeds I usually start every year with new, I wasn’t sure how long they would be usable once opened so I haven’t chanced it.

For some reason, we all appear to be getting the same avatar its good to share :lol:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.