Home Forums Gardening Questions Tomatoes

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of NorthernTeacher NorthernTeacher 6 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I know some clickers start tomatoes off early in propagators and as OH has made me a grow-light thing, I want to try earlier toms with this. Yes, yes, I know there won’t be any heat underneath but hey! Anyway, when would you expect to start them off early? Ta very much.

Profile photo of Beanstew
    Beanstew
    Participant

I don’t know what others do, Jane. I usually start by germinating the seed in a heated propagator mid towards the end of February, and then move the pricked out seedlings onto trays lined with capillary matting, into my home-made grow house which isn’t heated except for any heat given out by the light tubes. I keep them there until April, when they either progress to window cills backed by foil – or into the greenhouse with only a paraffin heater to keep off frost at night. I have no doubt that more daring or experienced gardeners start earlier – but this works for me.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Thanks, Sheila. I need to get my leaf mould/compost mix ready early next month then – I use it to germinate all the seeds.

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

Jane Sheila End of March I put mine in because I only grow GDelight now and they go outside in The second week of May,I only grow a couple of plants,Because we just like picking one off as we are passing and putting them whole in the mouth,GD are nice and small and sweet, :good:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I put San Marzano outside, Al and GD stays in the g/h but interesting that you leave it until the end of March, thanks.

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

I find that if you put them in too earlie Jane,They tend to get a bit leggy,I have cut them off in the past,Just above the bottom pair of leaves,What happens Then is the plant sends out two shoots from the leaf joints,Keep the strongest one and cut the other one off, That will knock them back about two weeks.And the shoot will come as strong as the main stem.

Yewbarrow
    Participant

I’ll probably think about end of Feb in propagator and then hardem off with heat turned off and then out to the greenhouse, if they get a bit leggy just transplant them much deeper, they will produce roots from the lower part of the stems wich you have put deep into the next size flower pots

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Thanks, Jenny. I think I’m going for the beginning of March as I’m further south than you Sheila :-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.