Home Forums Gardening Questions Tough lettuce

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Frank AKA seasider Frank AKA seasider 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Frank AKA seasider
    Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

I have been growing lettuce in containers or grow bags for years and never had a problem, however this year I have grown the usual Salad Bowl cut & come again and Tom Thumb. The Tom Thumb are fine but the salad bowl are growing ok but the leaves and stalks are so tough I have had to compost them. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what would cause this or had the same problem.

Profile photo of dandlyon
    dandlyon
    Participant

Lettuce likes to grow quick Frank, if your weather has been hot and dry the same as ours this can toughen the leaves .I am growing mine in between two rows of beans, the grounds always damp and its cooler than the rest of the plot. This is just my own observation

Profile photo of cilla
    cilla
    Participant

I had the same trouble this year. Hot weather and tough, bolting lettuces.

Profile photo of karenp
    karenp
    Participant

I had that problem last year too, this year I did plant them alongside the runner beans and they are good this time :good: only planted them there as no other space available so seems Tony your method does work :-)

Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

This is all very useful info, thanks!

Yewbarrow
    Participant

lousy year up here for lettuce, two lots failed to germinate, bought fresh seed, that didn’t germinate, then a further sowing produced about six plants which finally grew into something sensible and now a futher half a dozen are thinking about growing on the allotment – always grow little gem and never had a growing year like it – never mind there is always next year – lol! – or not

Profile photo of Frank AKA seasider
    Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thank you all for your responses, it reassuring to hear that I am not alone with this problem, I usually think it is my fault. Tony slow growing would definitely be the problem with my lettuce this year but not the problem you mention with hot dry weather but just the opposite, I am on the coast in Scarborough where this year we have had a lot of cold NE and E winds and loads of rain, some of the rain has been really heavy it laid my Spiraea bush almost flat last week and the hanging baskets and most plants in general have taken a real beating. So I am sure this has slowed down the growth of my lettuce, and as Yewbarrow mentioned poor germination, so I set it off in G/H then planted out but it still was very slow to grow. I have now decided, as the weather does not appear to be improving at the moment, this week we have had heavy rain and cold strong winds, to buy my lettuce for now and see what happens.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.