Home Forums Gardening Questions Trellis Wood & Design

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gertie 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Duncan
    Keymaster

This may be my first legitimate gardening question on here.

We moved into a new build last year and we’re now getting round to doing a few things in the garden. We have a bog standard 1.8m fence around the garden which on two sides the fence posts are our side. The garden is not flat so trellis buying off the shelf won’t look right and the quality trellis is pretty expensive anyways. There are also slightly varying widths between the posts but all less than 2 metres.

For colour and privacy we’re planning on putting in quite a few climbing plants (clematis, honeysuckle etc) along the fence. Thinking of making our own trellis to go between the posts as overall we think it’ll look better and a bit more discreet.

Was thinking of using this 19x38mm treated wood. https://www.diy.com/departments/treated-sawn-timber-t-19mm-w-38mm-l-2400mm-pack-of-24/570388_BQ.prd

Design wise, we’re thinking about 5 battens horizontally and about 3 vertically per gap. Is this enough within that space to provide the support the plants would need? Is the wood suitable? Tried looking for thinner but haven’t found anything of note.

Tubs
    Participant

I have put clematis wire between some of my posts and used a few staples to fix it, either cross ways or up and down using very thin green wire to join it. Cannot advise on your plan.

Hayley

Welcome to the fold Duncan! :lol: There are sure to be lots of answers here for you on the wood :good: Go for the scented honeysuckle, can’t beat it :-) Lonicera periclymenum ‘Heaven Scent’

Beanstew
    Participant

I have a small rooted Oregon thornless blackberry which I would love you to plant somewhere. Given your infant son’s love of fruit, I would like to picture him grazing greedily on this plant when it’s fruiting – I know you have yards and yards of fencing – surely you can squeeze it in somewhere?

Duncan
    Keymaster

Not sure that answers my question or serves your own agenda there Beanstew? :eyeroll:

The wire looks interesting so started looking around at that. Anyone using the Gripple stuff?

gertie
    Participant

Nope…just use garden twine or plastic figure-of-8 grips . the twining plants do the rest with just a helping tie now and again…but I warn you, my plants are allowed to go rampant and wild, rather than tidy Duncan, so … I’ll just go away and be quiet Good luck :good: :rose:

Tubs
    Participant

My previous click was when I was up early I though I had deleted it as had not finished it. Half asleep!!
    I have put plastic clematis mesh (Large squares) between my posts either width wise or length wise joining with thin wire and securing the sides with some staples, This is ideal for the colour part but privacy if you want something taller than a fence I would put in some shrubs but the ones which will grow tall.
    I have also put trellis against fence fixed it on those posts (2 inch by 8ft) hammered into ground on metposts this allowed me to go higher than the fence as I had trellis about 18 inches off ground.

Duncan
    Keymaster

This is part of the fence in question.

Attachments:

gertie
    Participant

Wow, that’s a lorra-lorra fence :shout: you can have fun with that :good: :rose:

Hayley

All that blank space, there’s so much you can grow against it :-) Lovely jubbly :lol:

Tubs
    Participant

I thought I put something like this on this afternoon but its vanished. Seems I forgot the code
    I know this is not what you asked but I would put tall growing shrubs from the top left to where it juts out and then climbers on the right fence, Wooden Posts do not last a long time in the ground especially with wind rock and heavy weight of plants. Depending on where the sun is a trellis around a seating area for colour and privacy. Do not know the rest of garden so that might not be an idea .
    With that open type fence the growth and flowers will go towards the sun so if the fence facing you in on the north side everything will go to the neighbours. side. !! ok if they like it!!
    Mums blackberry sounds good!!!

Beanstew
    Participant

Trellis round a seating area sounds like a good idea to me, apart from increasing privacy will also provide shade, as would a pergola.

gertie
    Participant

I love my Arbour all wrought about with clematis ete. :good: can sit inside and under, smell the dainty perfume of Montana in Spring, and peep out :-) :rose:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.