Home Forums Gardening Questions WATER RETAING GEL

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  dandlyon 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

dandlyon
    Participant

Do many clickers use water retaining gel for their plants?, if so do you use it just for pot plants and hanging baskets, or have you tried it mixed in with compost for veg that start out in pots, like brassicas, celery onions sweet corn, quite a lot if you think about it. Could be very useful in tomato pots

gertie
    Participant

Have started off with water-retaining matting for when I go away, but not explored extensively yet Tony. Will be interested to hear what folks do. :rose:

Allan

Never used it Tony,I will also be interested in any answers to it too. :unsure:

gonewest

I put it in tubs and baskets in the hope that it helps. Never did baskets pre-gel really so can’t really say how well it does. But when we went away last year, most things, though a touch dry after a week or two, were recoverable and some weren’t even flagging. Like the sound of water retaining matting Anne. Must look into that too.

dandlyon
    Participant

Have used the matting to stand pots on, needs the edge of the mat in water so it works like a wick. Have read a bit about the crystals but mainly from the manufacturers , it seems the best way is to soak the crystals first then mix with the compost ,do it the other way round and it rises like a loaf pushing the compost out of the container.

Bill
    Participant

We have used it in hanging baskets for some years now mainly on south facing aspects, this does seem to eradicate the need to water twice daily.

Attachments:

dandlyon
    Participant

That looks good Bill, will certainly use it in my hanging baskets and will try it in a couple of my tomato pots

Anonymous

I tryed it once with poted plants and baskets, I am afraid that I was not inprest with it, for baskete I prefer a sorser with a few pebles in it at the bottom of the basket, and for poted plants a pot water holder and keep my eye on that to deside when to add water, but then I ues compost with 40% peat for both and that is a good water retainer,and regulater,

roly
    Participant

because we have all our plants in baskets tubs and troughs watering is very time consuming through the summer months it takes a good hour to water outside

we used water retention gel for the first time last year with I have to say with very good results mixed with the compost when planting

we used the gel in hanging baskets and wall troughs some lined with matting some lines with plastic sheeting both proved good results :good:

I haven’t tried gel in veg planting not to sure about that I have toiled with the idea of running irrigation pipes to the baskets on a timer but still undecided :unsure:

gertie
    Participant

This is all good stuff folks :rose: …than you for raising the topic too Roly :good:

gertie
    Participant

This is all good stuff folks :rose: …thank you for raising the topic too Roly :good:

cilla
    Participant

OH wants to put a wildlife hedge in, not very big area, and, as it is a very dry area, was wondering about mixing gel granules into the trench with compost and newspaper.

dandlyon
    Participant

Not sure how long these crystals stay active for ,may need a mulch now and again. There must be several things that will flourish in drier condition.

mickyp
    Participant

http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/mickscorner.html Have a nose on nappy*s , doing this at the moment …. it works .

Attachments:

dandlyon
    Participant

Mick I looked at disposable nappies , the gel is sodium polyacrylate, wondered if the sodium would have any effect on the plants. Been looking to see how much sodium the gel contains but no information on the packets of nappies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.