Home Forums Gardening Questions what's wrong with these beans?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  VegVamp 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

newshootNic
    Participant

Hi!
    I planted these climbing beans out but they look knackered. Leaves a bit shredded in places and they’re mottled. The site they’re in is exposed and it can get windy but there were some signs beforehand after the hardening off period. I hardened them off over a three week period, gradually getting them accustomed with the outdoors. It’s been a bit windy and I’ve tried to put them in the most sheltered spot possible during this period but I’m wondering whether that combined with their current position has all been a bit much? Or maybe someone can identify something else that’s wrong with them. I’ve put a thin layer of fleece over them for now just to stabilise them, but any other suggestions/comments welcome. Thank you :scratch:

Attachments:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

What kind of beans are they Nic, and where in the country are you? It looks like a combination of wind damage and possibly frost. Most climbing beans are tender. I’m in Northern Ireland and have only got my French Climbing Beans out of the greenhouse yesterday.

newshootNic
    Participant

Hi VegVamp
    They’re a combination of Cobra, Runner and Bauhilde. I planted them out last week so I think it would tally that perhaps it was on the tad early side….
    Weather was around the mid teens, soil about 8degrees but the weather has been fluctuating alot and taken a few dips to around to 5 degrees at night time…I’ve read you can remove leaves that have suffered frost and just carry on but is there anything else you’d recommend I can do to help them out?

Walt
    Participant

It looks like wind-chill. Neither Climbers nor Runners need that even if they are hardened off. They prefer warm conditions where they can get away unchecked…

newshootNic
    Participant

It would certainly makes sense given it’s been so windy. Thanks Walt.

Walt
    Participant

If they are still there and the weather stays fair…give them a Nitrogen kick…i.e. : Chempak 2…Nitrate of Chalk…

dandlyon
    Participant

You beat me to it Walt just what I would have said :good:

newshootNic
    Participant

Thank you Walt and Dandlyon, that’s really helpful. I’ll give it a try. :bye:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Useful to me too, thanks Walt and Tony, often get wind-chill/wind-burn.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.