Home Forums General Discussion Wild plant identification.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  gertie 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

gertie
    Participant

Please could someone identify this wild flower seen today, September 15th. :rose:

Attachments:

Walt
    Participant

Himalayan Balsam.

mick1970
    Participant

Are they the ones what you don’t want in your garden Walt, am sure I read they’re very invasive

Walt
    Participant

That is correct Mick :good:

gertie
    Participant

Thank you both :love: :love:
    We saw it on a Country Park walk this morning and wondered what it was. Thankfully I won’t have it in the garden ;-) :rose:

Allan

When you touch the ripe seed pods they explode and scatter the seeds over a fair distance,

Beanstew
    Participant

I left home for points south in 1964 and returned in 1971, to find that the whole of our peninsula had been colonised by this plant. It looks very pretty, but it’s an absolute menace, much beloved (and abetted) by children who enjoy popping the seed heads to see how far the seeds will travel.

gertie
    Participant

:giggle: Trust us to find such a treasure/menace :lol: :rose:

Allan

It’s a boon to the bee keepers, It’s the last big pollen feed that bees collect at the end of the season,while there’s no other plants for them too collect off.You will often see bees covered in pollen rising off the balsam.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Allan. Reason: Spelling
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Allan.

gertie
    Participant

There! That’s interesting Allan, :good: must say we thought it very pretty and I love flowers that self seed and mass … I love bees too … I wonder? ….. :rose:

Walt
    Participant

This may help you to decide :dunno:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=480

gertie
    Participant

Crumbs! I think I’ll leave it as a distant memory then Walt ;-) Thank you for the link :good: :rose:

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  gertie.

Yewbarrow
    Participant

the good old victorians brought it to this country and I have always known it as it grew on the banks of the River Mole in Surrey, but it had not escaped to the extent it has today

gertie
    Participant

We saw another area of the same park this morning Jenny, that had a long bank full of the stuff :lol: …it had not yet been curtailed by Stinging Nettles :lol: :rose:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.