Home Forums Gardening Questions Wisteria cuttings

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hayley 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hayley

So, here’s the thing…

I’ve been gardening in my mum and dad’s home which they both left a few years ago due to ill health.
    My dad was particularly proud of a Wisteria which he trained around a pergola for many years. Sadly, but quite ironically, it died when he did in 2007.
    However, last year, when my mum became very poorly, it revitalized and appeared as a small shoot through paving slabs in their garden. I was so delighted and astonished!
    Quite ironically again, that coincided with her passing away last October but here it is, blooming marvellous as I’ve never seen it bloom before, today. :love:

So, I’d like to learn, has anyone taken a wisteria cutting? I’ve read that cuttings can be taken from softwood late spring early summer?
    All advice welcome! :rose:

Attachments:

Beanstew
    Participant

I have never grown wisteria, Hayley (and I may be quite wrong) – but wouldn’t it be possible to air-layer a piece of new growth using some moist compost and sphagnum moss kept in place at an appropriate spot on the regenerating plant? I hope you have success – it would be wonderful for you to have a plant growing from your parents’ original plant.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

There are a couple of vids to start you off, Hayley:
    Propagating Wisteria: How to Grow a Beautiful Garden with Scarlett

In the garden…March 4, 2015: Wisteria cutting

Good luck! It’s a lovely idea :-)

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

There are a couple of vids to start you off, Hayley:

Propagating Wisteria: How to Grow a Beautiful Garden with Scarlett

In the garden…March 4, 2015: Wisteria cutting

Good luck! It’s a lovely idea :-)

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Allan

Hi Hayl, What I did when I needed a new plant was,Let one of the shoots grow long, Peel a couple of inches of bark off it on one side and bury it in the ground, It will carry on growing ,but will make new roots from the damaged bark,The following year, You can cut the stem off from the main plant and the roots will be strong enough to support the cutting. :rose:

Hayley

Thank you for all the advice everyone :good: :rose:

The shoot has come up through some paving slabs so there is no soil nearby and time is not on my side as the new owners will be moving in soon.I’m going to take some cuttings and see how they do.
    Does anyone know if they are likely to bloom if I manage to get them to take?

Allan

I don’t know if a root cutting will flower Hayl, Because it might have been grafted, Try taking a few hardwood cuttings along with the new shoot ones. :rose:

Hayley

Thank you Al, will do :good: :good: :good: ;-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.