Attracting wildlife

Damselflies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

OH wanted to fly his drone this morning and I went along with him but took a different direction and continued my own walk as I didn’t just want to sit and watch him enjoying himself ;-) It was a lovely morning and nobody else was around. I took the footpath that runs alongside farmland and Southern Fen Drain towards the sea, aiming for a small copse. I didn’t get that far as I was distracted by some damselflies I’d disturbed.

I saw two types, and both males and females of both. For the first photo, when taking the pic I only noticed the male damselfly. It wasn’t until I zoomed in to edit it that I noticed the second one, slightly obscured by the hogweed. I am not certain exactly what stage of the mating cycle this shows but it is a pair of Azure Damselflies (the male is the blue one). South Fen Drain (the actual water course where the eggs would be laid) is about 2 metres from this spot.

Attachments:
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

This is a Blue-tailed damselfly

Attachments:
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

This, too, is a Blue-tailed Damselfly. There are many forms of this species.

Attachments:
    cilla
    Participant

If only I could see the pics Jane but I expect you will email them to me.

cilla
    Participant

I can see them on my phone, beautiful. It reminded me of this one that was in the conservatory yesterday.

Attachments:
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

They are stunning Jane, could watch them for hours. ;-) These two held up my hanging basket planting for a while today – not that I minded one wee bit. Large reds I think? :confused:

Attachments:
    gertie
    Participant

What beautiful critters, and all so varied :-) :rose:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Gorgeous, Karen! It definitely looks like large reds :good: I’m not very good at ids for damsels and put mine on iSpot – someone kindly corrected my first attempt on the Azure ;-)

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Gorgeous, Cilla! They’re so dainty, aren’t they?

VegVamp
    Keymaster

I’m pretty awful at IDing them too Jane but checked here: https://british-dragonflies.org.uk/odonata/damselflies/ Did you not tell me about this site originally? :confused:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Highly likely, Karen – that’s where I found my wrong id, which you’ll understand when you read the expert’s explanation on my iSpot submission:
    The Common Blue [this is what I thought it was] only has a single dark spur on the side of the thorax (this has 2), the male has a dark mushroom mark in S2 (this has a “U” shaped mark”), it has wide antehumeral stripes and all blue S8 and S9.
    :confused: ?

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Well yes, of course, so obvious! :lol: :lol: Will go and do some reading up to try and make sense of that. :cool:

Allan

I haven’t had damsels breeding in my pond in the last two years and it has resulted in eggs laid by the fish hatching and maturing, So much so that iv’e had to give dozens away.The heron had been a problem, So i netted the pond and it looks as if that has control’d the nymphs feeding on the eggs and young hatch-lings,I miss having them here,but there was just too many,I’d spend hours watching them crawl out of the water and attaching themselves to a plant,Then breaking out of their straight jackets, Too emerge into the beautiful creatures that they are.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

So many competing interests, Al ;-) Give it another go and hope the heron stays away :cool:

Allan

It won’t Jane ,There’s eight pair of them breeding ,Where I had my allotment,They are passing over at all times of the day.They have built their nests on the edge of the forestry,At the end of someone’s garden,Glad it’s not mine ,Because the young only have to see the parent birds coming from a mile away and they start shouting their heads off, :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.