Attracting wildlife

Ivy rules OK

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  NorthernTeacher 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

gertie
    Participant

The Ivy which grew thickly along the wall at the back of GG, was always alive with Pigeons in the Autumn/Winter. They plucked Ivy fruits and ?whatever else from its innards and grew fat and happy. New people at the adjoining garden have destroyed their habitat now but the Pigeons still have GG ivy at the front :good: :rose:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Good to hear that you’ve still got your ivy, Anne :good: When I moved here nearly 8 years ago now, as one of the neighbours introduced himself he mentioned my ivy strangling my trees, which I have duly ignored, obviously ;-)

cilla
    Participant

We planted different variegated ivy along all our fences alongside the native ivy. Ivy doesn’t strangle trees. Our friends in Ireland had someont to take all the ivy off the trees in their little wood……they wouldn’t be told!!! :eyeroll:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Varigated ivy is nice, Cilla :good: A little bit lighter than what I’ve got :good:

karenp
    Participant

I’ve got the varigated ivy in my garden it comes from our neighbours wilderness gardens, I keep it under control and it hides her unsightly fence and the chicken wire we put up to replace her panels after they collapsed, the birds especially the sparrows love the berries in the autumn :good:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

It has a myriad of uses, Karen :good:

Beanstew
    Participant

One of my gardening consolations in the face of cherry tree suckers everywhere, and root knobbles all over my “lawn” is the fact that the bl**dy cherry tree is staggering along supporting 30 feet growths of clematis montana and Goldenheart ivy growing from my side of the fence……

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Haha, Sheila! You definitely mustn’t cut it back!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.