Attracting wildlife

No Mow May

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Plantlife

Try and join in!

gertie
    Participant

This is exactly what I wanted to do at the Pres. For years, my brother has gone there before us, and carefully mowed the grass, bless him for it, and i haven’t liked to say, “Please don’t!” But I think it’s time, if ever we get there again, to have a chat about the possibility of leaving islands of wild plants growing there. I wanted a field of wild flowers next to the garden once, but that idea was stymied when the late farmer grassed it to feed his sheep in the early days, and then it was used as a route for the tups to come to his sheep in the orchard. What i would do now if I had that chance all over again! but it’s too late and too little, and we made lovely human friends instead. :-) Hey ho :rose:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I’m sure you can have a no mow area, Anne :-) Send him the link and just say you’d like to try this on part(s) of the garden. He might like not having to mow very much ;-)

gertie
    Participant

Quite so Jane :-) …. actually, I intended to delete this entry, thought that i had, but clearly didn’t. As Dom pointed out, the space has had plenty of communal uses over the years, with young Folks’ gatherings, tents and such-like so I shouldn’t bemoan the fact that my original ideas did not come to fruition. Had we been living there full time it would likely have been a different story :lol: i do manage a small area yet around where the lovely old apple tree, now defunct, used to grow :good: :rose:

cilla
    Participant

Try telling that to OH Jane :lol: I have bought several packets of wild flower and annual seeds which will be grown in various pots around the garden so our pollinators will have a fine time and I may sow some in the veg bed if there is room. Several of the surrounding villages here are sporting blue hearts to show wild flowers have been sown :good:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Some people sprang immediately to mind when I posted this, Cilla :lol: I’m doing the same with wildflower seeds as most need sun and I don’t have it where the trees cast a shadow. OH is only too glad to minimise the grass cutting ;-) Some villages are excellent wild flower promoters :good:
    This is a different issue and it saddens me: Thousands of bluebell bulbs dug up as it was people from this county!

gertie
    Participant

What a crazed act … why? i wonder, it :confused: :rose: sounds like madness :rose:

• This reply was modified 1 day, 17 hours ago by gertie.
    • This reply was modified 1 day, 17 hours ago by gertie.
    cilla
    Participant

The world is becoming increasingly full of morons 😩

Allan

Wot u got against Rons then Cill, :good:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.