Bees

2018 Great British Bee Count

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  NorthernTeacher 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Bee survey from 17 May to 30 June 2018

The Great British Bee Count

cilla
    Participant

I can’t do this Jane as I just can’t distinguish some bees and would probably give the wrong information.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I don’t have a smartphone, Cilla…

cilla
    Participant

I did get the app one year but the pics don’t tell me anything. There are so many similar bees, I can just about ell a honey bè and a bumble!

karenp
    Participant

My 3rd day doing the count, am really getting quite hooked on it too, the app I downloaded is very easy to use which helps, once I’ve taken the photo I just compare the bee to the ones on the app then click how many I have seen at that time, you can also click on your location, also they have a map which shows areas where others are doing the bee count, I have quite a few where i live doing this, think it would be great fun to get children involved too :good:
    Went to our park where I counted 5 white tailed bumblebees and 2 Brown carder bees, then I went to the allotment, and on my green manure phacelia I counted 12 white tailed bumblebees and 2 Brown carder bees, then on the comfrey I counted 3 brown carder bees and 1 early bumble bee :lol:
    The app also keeps you updated on how many bees you’ve counted, so glad I updated my phone recently on my son’s advice, for once I listened :confused:

karenp
    Participant

Also they say when you submit the photo it doesn’t matter if blurred which is good to, I do wonder wether they can distinguish the type of bee in their count too in case of mistakes :dunno:

Hayley

This looks great Jane :good: Just downloaded the app so will see how I go with it. A bit late to the party.as ever, but better late than never! :-)

Allan

How do you know you are not counting the same bee a number of times.? Is the count made with all the bees that are there at one time.?

karenp
    Participant

I quickly count the bees on whatever shrub I’m using, take a picture then submit immediately, the phacelia up the allotment was fun as so many bees to count, so far I’ve counted 51 bees on different days and places and using the button for my location that time :good:

karenp
    Participant

This photo I used a selfie stick so I could lean over into my neighbours garden, did take a few attempts but got there in the end ;-)

Attachments:

karenp
    Participant

This one I used a selfish stick to lean over to my neighbours garden to take it, did take several attempts, but got there in the end :-)

Attachments:

karenp
    Participant

Thought it was a mason bee, but they should be able to identify it correctly :good:

karenp
    Participant

Oops didn’t think the first one went on so did it again :confused:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Too difficult for me to identify, Karen but I’m glad to see the selfie was pointing in the right direction :lol:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.