Bees

Flowers for bees – and more

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  gertie 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

This is interesting for all bee lovers but I’ve highlighted Lynn as she asked specifically about Jacob’s ladder @flowerpotlynn

The best garden flowers for bees

Why is the UK’s honeypot shrinking?

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Thankyou Jane, I have about 80% of these in various areas of the garden, but want to have a few bee flower concentrated areas, so I shall make a note of these and either collect the seed from what I have or take cuttings etc, especially as we now have two hives and it’s a good excuse to grow more flowers too :-) ;-)

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I found the Jacob’s ladder and will save the seeds for you, Lynn :good:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

Did you see the lady on gardeners world a good few weeks ago she has the national collection of Jacobs Ladder – I did not realise there were so many, I have them in my garden, my previous neighbour gave me a plant and it seeds itself each year and I usually have a few plants, sometimes they come out white and some of them blue, and yes the bees like them

cilla
    Participant

Other bee attractors in my garden are stachy byzantia, always full of bees, eryngium, hebe, verbena bonariensis, lavender, marjoram and all have survived the drought.

Allan

I find that they are attracted to the comfrey and Welsh poppy out of choice,That’s after the early bees have finished on the crocus,They love the flowers of the blueberries and blackberries,And the tiny flowers of the cotoneaster,The lupines are another one that they favour,I haven’t seen one honey bee this season,And my runner beans are non existent,We have had about six meals off them ,from when the queen bumbles we’re pollinating at the beginning of the season.There has been no small bumbles from them coming on ,I don’t know why that is but if it’s gettin this way over the rest of the country ,It could be serious. :-(

cilla
    Participant

That is very worrying Al, Thankfully we have had a variety of bees, solitary, honey, bumble and others. They are also attracted to heuchera and hosta flowers.

Allan

Even my leafcutter box is empty this year,Never known it as bad as this, :-(

Walt
    Participant

I have eight RED MASON BEE nest boxes, four at the allotment, four at home. RED MASON BEES are active April-June, I have not seen one this year :disappointed:

gertie
    Participant

Whenever we have been to the South Norwood Country Park during this Autumn, i have seen bees on the massed Asters … Michaelmas Daisies … growing there … this was on 29th September.

Attachments:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

great picture Anne, we have a very old variety of michlemas daisy in the garden, an absolute thug in that it creeps along the ground and would take over if I let it, but the bees, hoverflies etc just love it at this time of the year, so whenever I try to control it I always leave some behind just for them

gertie
    Participant

I recently bought one and it didn’t survive Jenny….I shall attempt to gather some seeds from the park ones if that’s legal :lol: :rose:

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Hi Anne,I bought one before we went away, came back and it was brown, :-( have kept watering it and this week I have new green growth away from the plant, it’s in the corners of the plant pot, so I’m hopeful it’s regrowing??!! :good:

gertie
    Participant

:high-five: I was hoping that it might come back Lynn …. it’s on Blue Hill and I can’t understand why it’s gone, unless a fox or cat or squidge dug it out :disappointed: I shall look again tomorrow. Meanwhile I have some seeds from the park, collected today :-) :rose:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.