Bees

Medicinal heather

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gertie 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

gertie
    Participant

Yes Jane, I came across this somewhere recently, and wondered where I could incorporate some into GG :confused: :-) :rose:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Hi Anne :-) Calluna/common heather can be grown in pots or boxes, according to:

https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/common-heather.html

All there is to know about heather
    Common heather is a small shrub that comes in many varieties, each with its own blooming season.

If you alternate Calluna vulgaris and Erica heather, you’ll have flowers all year round!
    Calluna or common heather plant flowers are grouped to form ears and bloom from summer to fall.
    Erica plant flowers are grouped in umbels and bloom from fall to winter. This perennial usually covers surfaces well which can be interesting, and its bushy appearance and abundant flowers will certainly make for a beautiful addition to your garden.

Even though it flowers for over 5 months every year, common heather only needs little care and adapts equally well to rocks, edges and embankments – and your garden boxes, too. Indeed, balconies and terraces are perfect locations for this plant because growing in pots is ideal and its low maintenance requirements make it easy to care for.

Common heather is the plant that is also called summer heather, or Calluna vulgaris, whereas winter heather is the plant that bears Latin name Erica.

gertie
    Participant

Thank you Jane…I didn’t know all that and it’s very helpful and to me, worth knowing … thanks very much :-) :love: :rose:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.