Growing and using Herbs

Why growing your own herbs is best

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

James Wong is a botanist and writes for the Observer. We probably know this but it’s a useful reminder:
    To grow the tastiest herbs, treat ’em mean

Tubs
    Participant

Thats an interesting article and in soil rather than pots,Thanks

gertie
    Participant

Just about to say the same Tubs :-) … interesting article … thanks Jane :rose:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

I do like James Wong and this is a great article from him, thanks Jane. I have to admit I do grow quite a few of mine in pots, just to keep them at the back door next to the kitchen, to contain the mints and to keep the Mediterranean ones drier in our rather damp climate. Plus, I will NEVER put Oregano out into the garden again – it’s a complete thug. :lol:

Allan

The only two herbs I Regularly use are planted in the garden and that’s mint and thyme,I keep Rosemary but never use,Also garlic chives, that are used occasionally when I need to put some flavours in bland trout,When I click onto a link that allows you on, once you accept their cookies and privacy policies ,I quickly exit it, I might be old fashioned,I might be over cautious, Too late to change now. ;-)

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I keep some in pots – this year’s amazingly germinated basil, for example! It’s in the greenhouse. If I had a border with enough sun, I’d have a go of that Basil Blush in the pic on the left of the article. I’ve got oregano in my raised bed ‘herb garden’ and it’s a thug there too! Actually, what I use most is the self-seeded parsley which is by a water butt this year :confused: :lol:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Does mint in the garden get rampant like we usually read, Al? That’s another one I keep in pots.

gertie
    Participant

I am like you Allan … get fed up with all that private poking about and adverts to match rubbish…would rather miss out :-) :bad:
    In answer to the rampant thug bit Jane…yes!! I have always grown mint in pots and have noticed, like you, that I will have to do the same with the Oregano that is charging around on the corner now! Also, I have a smaller-but-Parsley-like herb that self seeds all around and have forgotten what it’s called though I think it may be for use with fish? Am collecting the long, :rose: black seed pods today.

cilla
    Participant

I grow thyme, lemon thyme, oregano, sage, mint, dill in pots and rosemary in the ground. I only use lemon thyme in chicken and rosemary with lamb. I always use dried oregano and dill, so much easier!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.