Growing Vegetables

Autumn sown peas

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  NorthernTeacher 4 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Hi all :-) I sowed a few dwarf peas called Hatif d’Annonay in September as it said I could on the packet. They’re just in one deep container in the greenhouse. Some information on the pkt is ‘the dwarf bushes are about 2-3 ft tall and really don’t need any support. What do you think about putting them in a large plant pot (one for each – there are only 7 plants at 4-5 inches high at the mo)? Will they need a rich compost mixture?

When do you think I’ll get peas? They did really badly in the garden earlier in the year so I hope this test will be better ;-)

Beanstew
    Participant

Even if they are dwarf peas, the fact that you are planning to plant them out singly in pots suggests to me that they will need something to grow up – otherwise they will just dangle over the top of the pot and hang down the side. I would cut some twiggy small branches from something that has lost its leaves, and put them in the pot as you are potting them up to avoid later root damage. I would also pinch out their growing tips to make them produce side shoots. They like a nutrient rich compost, so I would mix in some rotted leaf mould or garden compost into whatever potting medium you are using. Hope this helps. I have never over-wintered peas, so I cannot guess when you may get a crop from them, but good luck!

SIMONDO
    Participant

Hi Jane :-)
    Growing support may be needed if they were going to make there full size this side of the winter. I would think the sept sowing is for over wintering plants for a early crop next year. Maybe put a cane in each pot to tie them to during winter as i should think growth will slow to very little as the light reduces even more.
    I could be totally wrong as iv never done a sept sowing myself.

Anonymous

if you put them some were cool but not cold and put them on a shelf they will tumble ,no need for surport, and hight above 2ft 6” they will fruit proberly middle december. been there got the T shirt, :good: :rose:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

All very interesting, Sheila, Simon and Cliff. Thanks. I think I’ll do a bit of each, with and without support, to see what happens. If I get peas in the middle of December, Cliff, that would be very nice :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.