Growing Vegetables

Don't stop growing your own tomatoes!

This topic contains 22 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Ambersparkle 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Scientists have unlocked the secret of making tomatoes taste of something again :

https://theconversation.com/scientists-have-unlocked-the-secret-of-making-tomatoes-taste-of-something-again-71916

My favourites are Irish Gardeners’ Delight and San Marzano. This year I’m trying Sungold for an earlier cherry, hopefully!

Beanstew
    Participant

I went through a spell of wondering if taste bud deterioration due to age, was responsible for the fact that a lot of different foods no longer tasted as good as I had once experienced. And then I realised that it was due to human intervention, usually to increase profit, by speeding up natural processes or increasing yield. They don’t really care if the poor sods buying their produce can experience a moment of real pleasure while eating it. Luckily, I can give shop-bought tomatoes a complete body swerve, and I only grow tomatoes with a decent flavour. Think you will enjoy Sungold.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Thanks, Sheila – Cilla put me onto Sungold and I’ve also sent a pack of seeds to f-i-l, who hasn’t had much luck with toms for a couple of years as they have awful blight problems where he is in Devon. I haven’t bought shop tomatoes since growing my own.

Jenn
    Participant

Hi Jane – Sungold are gorgeous but can have a tendency to split if you leave them on the vine too long and if like me, you have clumsy sausages for fingers :lol: Has your FIL tried any of the blight resistant tomatoes? We have quite bad blight here but my Losetto lasted way longer than any of my other outside toms. Haven’t quite decided what to grow this year but Jaune Flamme will be one of them – they are the only one I definitely grow.

Walt
    Participant

Hello Jane. May I suggest ‘Crimson Crush’, a medium sized salad tomato, and ‘Mountain Magic’, a large cherry type, for your f-i-l. Both have good flavour and bight resistance.

gertie
    Participant

Oh this is a useful subject…I love growing tomatoes and have had varying successes. Intend to grow some biguns and cherryuns this year along with my International ‘Allan’ beans :good: I will research your ideas further Thanks everybodypeops :good: :rose:

Allan

Since giving up my plot and greenhouse where I used to grow numerous variety’s, I am now in the position where room is limited and just have room for only two outdoor plants. So I have chosen my all time favourite, GARDENERS DELIGHT, I tried the new variety’s as they came on the market ,But for flavour and the crop produced, I haven’t found one too better the GD, There’s nothing better than walking past the plant and picking off a nice red, juicy, sweet, Tom and popping it in your mouth. ;-) ;-)

shedsue
    Participant

I am growing Alicante, yellow pear and RAF ..Top tip for bought tomatoes..DO NOT put in the fridge and the flavour is better.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Thanks for all your comments :-) I’ll also pass on your recommendations to my f-i-l, Walt

Allan

I bought one of the long strings of vine tomatoes once that you see laid out on supermarket shelves,I kept the seeds from them and the following year I grew a couple on,Only to find that they stayed green and wouldn’t ripen,They ended up in chutny,Then I saw a program on telly where they were growing them in Dutch greenhouses,Picked green,Stored in huge cool units,Then when they were ready for shipping they were put in boxes,Sealed and a gas pumped into them that made them ripen as they were getting shipped, I grew Losetto and gardeners delight one year,that I grafted onto a rootstock from seeds that Ihad sent away for,There wasn’t a bit of difference with the yield on them,,, Too the ones that were grown naturally, The Losetto cropped well but not as good as the GD ,and the GD wer a tad sweeter. ;-) ;-)

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

My f-i-l got very poor results from expensive grafted toms last year, Al :-(

Allan

I’m glad I didn’t buy the grafted ones but grafted them myself JANE ,Or it would have turned out a Verry costly experiment.

karenp
    Participant

The first tomatoes plants I grew was gardeners delight and have grown this one since, the past 2 years I have been trying the grafted ones they are a tad pricey too, must admit not impressed with the flavours so far, the only plus side is that they don’t seem to get the dreaded blight and they do produce bumper crops past the ones grown from seed.
    This year I,m going back to growing my own from seed, I did grow bell peppers that were grafted and was very pleased with flavour and also these produced a bumper crop which was ready early for the picking so I will buy these again this year :good:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

I’m with Al on the Gds, they are a great tom, beautifully sweet and heavy cropper and another cherry, Apero, which is a great flavour but slightly more acidic. Also grow beef types Marmande and Country Taste, which I love for soups and passata, Tigrella which is a good flavour and adds interest to salads. Grew Raf last year and was very pleased with it. Have you grown Alicante before Sue? I grew it once and it cropped very well but I found it wasn’t nearly as tasty as others? :dunno:

gertie
    Participant

Spot on Susie, never put my toms in the fridge any more :good: :rose:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.