Growing Vegetables

Seed Potatoes

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

VegVamp
    Keymaster

It’s that time of year again and I thought it might be interesting to share what potato varieties you grow with maybe a brief description in case others are interested?
    My choices for this year are:

First Earlies:
    Maris Bard – Does well here and a very early cropper with great flavour, some drought resistance.
    Lady Christl – Does really well, crop as a first early or can be left to bulk up as 2nd early potato. Great taste.

Second Earlies
    Maris Peer – Moderate cropper but a great taste and boils well.
    Kestrel – Heavy cropper and very attractive blue/purple and white can be left to further bulk up as an early main.

Main
    Maris Piper – Floury, good taste and a good all rounder, heavy cropper, stores very well.
    King Edward – Floury, a late main crop with moderate yield but a gorgeous flavour, particularly good for baking, roasting & chips. Attractive pink and white tubers. Care needed when boiling. Stores very well.
    Setanta – Red skinned main, with good blight resistance. Floury with very high dry matter and stores very well. Another great tasting potato (my main priority in any veg!) A new one for me to grow this year as I was given a few to taste by a friend.

cilla
    Participant

With limited space I only ever grow CHARLOTTE, second earlies but they never fail me. They store for ages and taste delicious, either boiled or roasted.

I would love to try all the varieties that Karen has outlined, very helpfully, but don’t have the space. I shall be interested to see what other clickers grow :-)

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Thanks for that Cilla, I’ve heard that Charlotte are very tasty; they are fairly waxy aren’t they?

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

I have just received my main crop seeds which are Carolus, I grew them for the first time last year and I was really happy with them. They are storing well, very good all rounder. I only grow in containers now Air pots for mains and pots or bags for the earlies. I usually get Lady Christal earlies. I had a problem finding Carolus this year most places I looked at they were out of stock, Then I came across Seed Potatoes Direct online and they gave me excellent service and the setts are good.
    These are last years.

Attachments:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Very nice looking spuds, Frank :-)

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I’m not growing spuds this year but Charlottes are lovely for potato salad as they are waxy and I’ve grown them several times. They can also be left in as a main crop.

Yewbarrow
    Participant

Charlotte and Home Guard this year, love Charlotte grown them for the past few years, don’t bother with main crop on our plot as blight is quite a problem, not sure if it is worse because our plots are in what was a walled garden so it is somewhat enclosed, one year I planted outdoor toms with runner beans between them and shorter crops and although the spuds got blight elsewhere the toms remained ok – di the beans stop the spores reaching them or was I just lucky – who knows

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Getting lots of great ideas for new spuds to try. :good:

karenp
    Participant

I now tend to grow Nadine which are a main crop but can be used as early and tasty too, when left as main spuds are good size and good all rounder for roasting chipping and mashing too, copes well with our clay soil and drought too don’t seem to be bothered by any pests and blight.
    I also grow desiree which is a main crop, stores well through the winter in sacks in shed, good for roasting but makes a lovely mash too which I mainly use with this one, also seems to be blight resistant and not bothered by pests :-)

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hi Jane thanks for the comment, last year was my first try with Carolus ( I had never heard of them to be truthful) but I read they were good all-rounders and disease resistant so I thought I would give them a try. Apart from a bit of scab,they turned out ok. We are still using them and they have stored very well. :good:

Tubs
    Participant

Just been to local GC where they have loose seed potatoes in lots of different varieties have bought 10 Lady Christl. Have not much space but a change from Charlotte, I have liked eating bought Lady Christ before.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

I like Lady Christl Tubs, I have grown for the last 3 years. I grow in them in bags and they do ok. and if I am a bit late harvesting them in doesn`t matter they just keep growing to 2nd earlies. They are a goos all rounder. :good:

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

I like Lady Christl Tubs, I have grown for the last 3 years. I grow in them in bags and they do ok. and if I am a bit late harvesting them in doesn`t matter they just keep growing to 2nd earlies. They are a good all-rounder. :good:

Tubs
    Participant

Looking forward to them it will be a struggle as I think this will be last year I can garden, My daughter in law is getting the bug in her 50s so might give her some when they have chitted to encourage for another year.They have a very large garden.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Local Horticultural Shop opened again last weekend so I bought my early seeds from them, Lady Christl, they have always done well in bags for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.