Growing Vegetables

Stop Press ***Sprout Growers***

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Beanstew 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Sprout growing clickers should check their crops!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-38181048

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Oooooh, Nooooooooooo Jane. :-(

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Terrible news, Karen :-( I don’t grow sprouts but I had a similar problem from tiny moths devastating my caulis early in the year :-(

Walt
    Participant

The ‘Diamond-back moth’ is a problem with all brassicas. The best way to secure a crop is to enclose it in ‘Veggiemesh’, formerly known as ‘Enviromesh’.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

My Caulis did really well this year Jane, so fingers crossed, but will check my precious sprouts tomorrow. :good:

dandlyon
    Participant

I remember posting a picture and writing about this moth at the start of July. There was not an effective spray at the time even for commercial growers. As Walt says all brassicas are at risk and at the present moment only enviro mesh is the answer, plus the yellow fly catchers that can be hung amongst the plants,. I grew an early maturing sprout and they were in my freezer by the time the late hatch of caterpillar’s arrived

Attachments:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

Its a constant battle this gardening lark, feel very sorry for the commercial producers as they are having to plough whole fields back into the ground – fingers crossed we will have some brussels for Christmas even if half of the population don’t like them.

Beanstew
    Participant

I am just wondering if these moths are responsible for extensive damage to several of my herbaceous perennial plants i.e verbascum olympicum and phlomis fruticosa. I’m afraid I took my eye off the ball last summer, and the leaves are in an awful mess – but I’ve never had to worry about damage to them before I’m really sorry for everyone who grows sprouts, and enjoys this delicacy over the winter – I expect they are just like me and thinking of the resultant increase in the population of whichever pest is responsible.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.