Growing Vegetables

WHATS THIS?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  VegVamp 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

dandlyon
    Participant

Bought at Malvern over the week end, can think of many uses but who knows what it was specifically made for ? and what is called?

Attachments:

dandlyon
    Participant

Another view

Attachments:

SIMONDO
    Participant

Is there sign that it has been sharpened somewhere on it..say at the back .. or any evidence it has some part missing ? Have a thought it might be for hooking a string to cut on the pull stroke but can’t make out that much detail from the picture.

SIMONDO
    Participant

Im thinking Hop Garden tools or similar Tony..anything grown on cord or string you want to get down at harvest.

gertie
    Participant

Bush hook, for clearing tangled undergrowth and old vines perchance :unsure: :rose:

dandlyon
    Participant

Simon the hook part is sharp Anne you are thinking along the right lines. I used it today and it works fine, it is a specific weeding tool

gertie
    Participant

I’m guessing that the end is quite heavy too Tony? :rose:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Onion hoe?

dandlyon
    Participant

Anne its very light, Karen the hook part is sharp, could be a bit risky near onions

Walt
    Participant

Billhook?

dandlyon
    Participant

The end bit Walt is like a narrow dutch hoe about 1″1/2 wide 3″ long and just the curve of the hook is sharp, has a long handle like a rake.
    I used to think all the must have gardening tools was a modern thing, it seems in the past there was a tool for every aspect of gardening. I bet not many working class gardeners bought them :whistle:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

It’s never for asparagus Tony? No, you said for weeding didn’t you, completely baffled me. :yes:

SIMONDO
    Participant

Well its similar to the paving slab hook weeders you get today.

dandlyon
    Participant

No Karen its actually called a nettle spud. Spud in this sense of the word means digging out or removing .It pushes easily into a bed of nettles and as you pull it out it severs the deep thick roots. Joan and my self were like two kids with it this afternoon looking for “stingers” to try it on :lol: With its long handle we never got nettled once, these are old used tools all in good nick, the wooden handle was as smooth as the preverbal babies bum, and we both wondered what history this tool might have

gertie
    Participant

I love old, smooth wooden-handled tools :heart:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.