Recipes

Cock-a-leekie soup

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ambersparkle Ambersparkle 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

So, Sheila, what do you think of this? What tips have you got to improve it? @beanstew
    How to make the perfect cock-a-leekie soup

I’m not sure about the prunes but Felicity Cloake like them.

Profile photo of Beanstew
    Beanstew
    Participant

By coincidence, I was discussing a subject very close to this, with my male hairdresser on Wednesday – and it all started when I complained that it was nearly impossible to find a boiling fowl anymore – without which it is really difficult to make a good stock. And the quality of the stock is the basis for this soup. My mother made the most fantastic chicken soup, but she had a supply of hens which had gambolled about outside pecking in the dirt and green stuff, and often being fed on home grown grain. The reason we were discussing this, was because the hairdresser had just moved house, and was no longer able to breed turkeys which he had done for many years.
    I have never included prunes – but the combination of a good chicken stock and leeks, long grain rice and carrots makes a very good soup indeed. I usually chuck in an onion too. I tie myself in knots nowadays with bay leaves, celery, onions and carrots, and peppercorns and modern chicken trying to make the same quality of stock – but I don’t fool myself.
    PS Surprised there is no mention of cooling and skimming the stock to get rid of chicken fat, which I wouldn’t include.

Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Thanks for looking at that Sheila. I keep chicken carcasses to make stock and I suppose if I use a couple and also some fresh chicken, it might give it more depth. I like the idea of adding rice, too – more of a meal.

Profile photo of Ambersparkle
    Ambersparkle
    Participant

Think I might make that with what I have, adding Rice,, would make it more of a Meal, a good Idea, will use Chicken Pieces with the Skin on, and Bone in, for more Flavour.

Profile photo of Ambersparkle
    Ambersparkle
    Participant

I hate Prunes, with a Vengeance, all that Prunes and Semolina, for School Dinners, do not have the same antipathy towards Semolina.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.