Savvy Savers

HOME SOIL TESTING, WITH VINEGAR AND BI CARB!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Victoriam4074 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Victoriam4074
    Participant

Have you ever wondered if there was a way to test soil that didn’t involve buying chemical kits, and alot of faffing about?

WELL there is!

Now let me just say I know this is probably not as exact as the bought kits etc, but it will give you a damn good idea on how your soil is doing! So hopefully someone finds this helpful.

Also I find it easier to do the videos than to type for an age, I always end up with no blood left in my arse cheeks if I start typing, because it almost always turns into a full scale novel! :/ Hopefully you enjoy the videos more :)

Vxxx

Anonymous

well dun Victoria, we need people like you that are all ways trying to move forward and take the time to experiement, for the benefit of us all, keep it up and don’t let people that will want knock you’ put you off,:good:

Attachments:

Victoriam4074
    Participant

Thanks Cliff, I will never allow anyone to put me off anything I do! xxxx

cradleymike
    Participant

What a super cheap way to test the soil using simple chemistry!

Beanstew
    Participant

That was really interesting Victoria – and I’ll be trying it tomorrow.  Hope I don’t get any fizz or bubbles!  Keep the videos coming, its a really good way of learning.

Victoriam4074
    Participant

Haha, thanks you folks :)

If you follow the youtube link you’ll find my channel have many videos :)

Still got the paper pot origami one, which require no tape, stapes or implements too! Along with honey rooting and willow rooting, among others :) Will still post here too however :)

karenp
    Participant

just the sort of testing kit i need as all ingredients from the kitchen cupboard, shall be doing a test later today with some soil from the allotment and some from my garden, will let you know the outcome  :yes:

mick1970
    Participant

ill be trying that brill:good:

Attachments:

dandlyon
    Participant

I can see this simple test would give an indication if your soil was aciidic but without a ph reading how would you know how much lime to add to correct the ph to the value required ,or would it be a guess?

Victoriam4074
    Participant

Well you can and small amounts until the soil test shows a settled result….

dandlyon
    Participant

Mick I remember you asking the question about lime and how much to use,if you use perlka as a club rooot prevention you need an accurate ph reading,as perlka will raise the ph to 9,then you need to check when its dropped to 7 before planting brassicas.

dandlyon
    Participant

Surely Victoria that would involve more faffing about than one soil test or even  a simple  ph probe

mick1970
    Participant

evening tony …………..i have not used any perkla yet i got some off mickyp not read into it yet which soil tester would you recommend to use without to much exspense i hate spending money

Victoriam4074
    Participant

Yes Dandlyon, but I didn’t really mind doing that, I only had to test twice more, and It didnt take me long :)

Victoriam4074
    Participant

Would also like to say that, this test is just good for seeing wether anything really needs done, last few tests have been pretty good! Its just a good indicator of any imbalances…I found.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.