We Dig Books

Colson Whithead’s The Underground Railroad

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  VegVamp 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

VegVamp
    Keymaster

A novel telling the story of Cora a slave on a cotton Plantation in Georgia and her struggle for life and freedom. In it the “Underground Railroad” becomes reality, a wonderfully imaginative way to journey through the worst side of American history.
    This was an excellent read, but “enjoy” is not a word I would use for it. And I had to be in the mood to continue reading it, so it’s been on the go for a while. It is not “easy” reading and some of it is brutal, understandable given the subject. However, it has re-enforced my deep concerns over racial inequality in America and given me a greater understanding into the dreadful abuse suffered by African/American slaves and their struggles for freedom and fair treatment.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I’ll definitely read this, Karen :good: There’s a different racial inequality in the US today, as shown this week, and I would expect some cross-over.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Indeed Jane, makes me so cross especially when I consider the fact that white “Americans” do not have a race as such, but were formed from many, many other countries and cultures. Go figure. :disappointed:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I was gripped by this story about Cora, a black slave in America. What she, her friends and some sympathisers had to experience and lose their lives over must be condemned but can hardly be described. I can only concur with Karen’s excellent review above. This book is not non-fiction but I can well believe there were slaves as brave as Cora, just as there are people brave enough to fight similar horrors today.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Glad you found it a good read Jane. :good:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.